Having a difficult time speaking should not prevent you from talking on the telephone. Wyoming Relay Service makes it possible for you to communicate on the telephone with your own voice using a feature called Speechto-Speech (STS). STS is a system that allows people with speech disabilities to make or receive phone calls using their own voice or voice synthesizer. A STS Communication Assistant (CA) will revoice your message to ensure you are understood. Our STS CAs are specially trained to speak for people with a wide variety of speech patterns in order for others to understand them. Using STS, you will no longer experience the stress associated with wondering if the person on the other end of the line has understood you!
To make a Speech-to-Speech relay call:
- Dial 1-877-787-0503
- Give the STS Communication Assistant the number you wish to call, plus any special instructions
- The STS Communication Assistant will work with you closely to ensure your entire conversation is understood
Customer Profile for STS Users:
A Customer Profile allows you to store up to ten names and telephone numbers. With a profile, you can tell the Communication Assistant the name of the person you want to call, instead of giving the number to dial.
Customer Profiles also have a section that allows you to have your own greeting (up to 50 characters). This greeting is read upon connection with the person that you are calling and can aid in faster call processing.
If you have any special requests, these can be included in the "Notes" section of the Customer Profile.
To complete a Customer Profile call Customer Service at 1-877-787-0503 and ask the Communication Assistant to dial 1-888-694-4450.
In an emergency, call 9-1-1 or your local emergency services TTY number directly. Wyoming Relay Service will make every effort to assist you in an emergency. However, relay centers are not 911 centers and do not assume responsibility for emergency calls.
Tips for Speech-to-Speech Users:
- Give the Communication Assistant as much information as possible about your call prior to the Communication Assistant dialing. For example, if you know you are calling an automated system that requires you to select a number of different options, let the Communication Assistant know which options you want before the Communication Assistant places your call
- Once the call is connected, everyone on the call will be able to hear each other
- The Communication Assistant will revoice 3 to 4 word segments unless you request otherwise
- The Communication Assistant will clarify anything that is not clear before revoicing
- Pausing while the Communication Assistant voices is helpful
- Do not be concerned with the length of time a call may take. There is not a time limit
- You or the person you are calling may request that the Communication Assistant stay in the background. If you need the Communication Assistant to begin revoicing at any time during the call, you must request the Communication Assistant to do so. This is especially helpful when calling family, friends, or others who are familiar with your speech
- Say "GA" when you are finished speaking and ready for a response
- You may make as many consecutive calls as you want
If you reach an answering machine, the Communication Assistant will get your full message and then call back to leave that message.
Voice Carry Over/Speech-toSpeech (VCO/STS):
VCO/STS is designed for people who are hard of hearing or Deaf and have a speech disability. The relay user can make or receive phone calls using his or her own voice or voice synthesizer and read everything said by the voice caller on a TTY or VCO telephone.
To make a VCO/STS relay call:
- Dial STS at 1-877-787-0503 using your TTY or VCO equipment
- Request VCO or complete a VCO profile with Customer Service
- After the STS Communication Assistant types "VCO ON Wyoming Relay Service Communication Assistant 0000 M/F NBR PLS Q GA", give the Communication Assistant the number you wish to call plus any special instructions
- The STS Communication Assistant will type to you and ask if you are familiar with STS. The STS Communication Assistant will explain if necessary
- The Communication Assistant will dial the number you wish to call and upon connection, will ask the person if they are familiar with STS. The Communication Assistant will explain, if necessary, and type to you "(EXPLAINING RELAY)" followed by "GA" when the explanation is finished
- When you see "GA" from the STS CA, go ahead and say your first phrase or sentence followed by "Go Ahead"
- The Communication Assistant will then type what you said back to you adding "CORRECT QQ GA" at the end of the phrase or sentence. If you say "Yes, GA", the STS Communication Assistant will type "(REVOICING NOW..)" and revoice your entire phrase or sentence to the person you are calling
- The STS Communication Assistant will type the response of the standard telephone user back to you
Remember, you are in charge of your call. If you dial the relay and get a female CA, and you would prefer to have a male Communication Assistant relay your call, you can request a male CA. As long as one is available, your request will be honored.
There is no charge for using the Wyoming Relay. However, you will be charged for long distance calls. Long distance calls will be billed through Sprint, unless you ask the Communication Assistant to use a different long distance carrier.